8 Nisan 2020 Çarşamba

I became a flood by waiting, o saints!


(Written on January 11, 2020)

*This article is about the story of a professor and his experiences after the coup attempt of 2015 in Turkey. Title poem "Dura dura bir sel oldum erenler": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FM4kUWfRd8

My name is Zekeriya Aktürk. I was born in a village in Trabzon. You have to drive 30 km up the mountains to reach our place.‎‎ My father was an expatriate. He worked in Germany for 16 years.‎

When I was just 10, my dear mom died in a traffic accident. From then on, I moved to Germany ‎to my brother and his family. I studied there in secondary and high school. ‎ Most of my grades in the school were “Gut” and “sehr gut”.‎‎

I was studying hard. I knew that I had to… There was no fortune in my village from the perspective of schooling. Before me, there were just ‎a few people in our town, who earned a license degree...‎

‎In 1984, my family decided to move back to Turkey. Similar to many other expatriates, when we were reaching the border of Turkey at Kapikule, we ‎were exiting the cars and kissing the earth. Patriotism… How could I know that one day I will be stigmatized as a terrorist...‎‎

As you probably figured out, I am coming from a classical Turkish family with conservative ‎cultural values. ‎‎I studied/I was supported, and finally got an MD degree from Marmara University. ‎

I could describe myself as a person full of love for his nation and people. I served both in the east ‎of Turkey, as well as the west. ‎‎I served in Şenkaya, an eastern district of Turkey during a time of dense terror attacks.

‎During the 1999 earthquake, I was in Kocaeli. Although I was assigned to my post as an assistant ‎professor, I stayed there for another month and served the victims of the disaster.‎

Then, I joined the academic life in Edirne. ‎There I served for seven years.‎‎

I can proudly say that my life if full of success. ‎‎I am among the first professors of family medicine in Turkey. ‎‎Turkish is my mother tongue.‎ Additionally, I speak English, German, and Arabic. ‎‎

For four years, I was employed at the Saudi Ministry of Health as a consultant. ‎In 2009, we again started to miss our homeland and decided to move back. ‎‎This time, it was my dear wife, who pushed for the change.‎‎

We settled in Erzurum. ‎‎I started to work at Atatürk University. ‎‎Also there, I made a lot of contributions. We developed the first student exchange automation system and called it the “World Web of ‎Mevlana.” It was an excellent opportunity for internationalization. ‎‎We were conducting regular post-graduate courses for Kazakh students.‎‎ I was the dean of the school of pharmacy for one year. ‎‎I contributed to many projects concerning education and curriculum development.‎‎ I was the department chair of both family medicine as well as biostatistics, where I contributed to ‎the training of many students and academic staff.‎‎ I organized scientific student congresses. Three of them were done during my time. Please ‎compare the time before and after me.‎‎

The number of my articles, conference proceedings, and books surpass 400.‎‎ Also, I own a YouTube channel with more than 500 educational video recordings. I do not know ‎any other scholar in Turkey with a similar contribution to the same field... ‎‎Who else has a similar service in Turkey, I do not know... ‎

I have memberships to many international organizations.‎ Being one of the co-founders of the organization, I represented Turkey in EQuiP for many years.‎

‎In 2015, we decided to move to Izmir. ‎‎ I was employed by Sifa University, which was an institution with many achievements. ‎‎Everything was looking fine for us. We had our dream house and dream city. However, “We ‎make our own plans, but the Lord decides where we will go.” ‎

There was this unfortunate coup attempt; the university was shut down by the government, and I ‎was unemployed.‎‎

I started to search for employment opportunities abroad ‎because the institutions in Turkey were ‎even not responding to my queries. ‎ I should mention that, in the past, they were sending their chauffeurs to invite me for ‎conferences…‎‎

Finally, I had a position as a consultant in Medinah. ‎‎The monthly salary was 15000 US Dollars. It was a big project with the possible contributions of ‎many other Turkish scholars. ‎‎

‎On September 2, 2016, while I was on my way to leave the country, I was taken under custody ‎and arrested.‎‎ ‎I was kept in prison for 14 months and a week. ‎‎

Too late, I realized that stone is hard, water can suffocate, fire can burn...‎‎

Of course, my values went upside down.‎‎ It was a devastating trauma for me. Indescribable. ‎‎You may have an opinion if I tell you that I lured for being dead. ‎‎

First, I thought they are joking. ‎My own landspeople, the country I loved and was ready to die for, could not do this to me. ‎I was the one who carried wounded soldiers from a battlefield in Senkaya…‎‎ I was the guy who sold all the assets of his wife to represent the country abroad… How could ‎this happen??‎‎

However, the reality is that plain people from rural Anatolia, ‎who dug their way in academic life, ‎bureaucracy, or trade were extinguished. The majority of the nation, on the other hand, have applauded this massacre or at least ‎overlooked it.‎‎
You see, I think we've been sacrificed for simple interests like home, car, road, positions, and ‎money.‎‎ Hundreds of thousands of educated people like me have been eliminated.‎‎

Now, I've been semi-free since two years.‎‎ I earn my living by doing translation and giving academic counseling on the internet on the ‎balcony of my house.‎‎

I'm waiting for the process to be completed. ‎

If I am allowed to live the rest of my life as a free man, I must, of course, migrate to another ‎country.‎‎ When my passport and freedom of travel are returned, I'm thinking of leaving the “Great Turkish ‎nation” on their own devices, and not disturbing them anymore with my presence.‎‎

My value perceptions are significantly modified. ‎‎Many things I considered right in the past prove to be wrong. ‎‎In the process, I was labeled even by some of my relatives. ‎‎Some friends didn't call or ask. ‎Some others also deleted me from their social media accounts. ‎Some scientific boards of the journals and associations removed my name from their lists...‎‎ The Turkish Association for Family Medicine stopped publishing my book composed of 1000 ‎pages, a project where >60 scholars had contributed...‎‎

I ask myself: What is the definition of sacred? ‎‎We have to revise our perceptions of the divine.‎‎ We must stop worshiping the state, race, power, and money, and be a servant of the Lord. ‎‎But, first of all, you have to be human. We could not manage to become real human beings.‎‎

My French colleague Marc Jamoulle shared my story in his presentation. ‎‎My German colleagues, my Saudia friends, my teacher Deborah from the United States, ‎colleagues and friends from all over the world have shared their concerns. ‎

I explained my condition to the Scholar at Risk.‎‎ They have shown interest not comparable to anyone from Turkey. ‎‎On the other hand, I observe that the Human Rights Association in Turkey is striving to support ‎the victims of this purge.‎‎

These events have revealed people who are sensitive to human rights, animal rights, as well as ‎the environment. ‎‎My children are far more sensitive to the rights of the oppressed than I am. ‎‎The saying “The oppressed can’t be discriminated by their beliefs, language, or color” is ‎becoming true in the practices of these people. ‎‎

Many persons sensitive to human rights gather under the umbrella of the KHK platforms to work ‎together. ‎In the old Turkey, it could not be imagined that these people could collaborate in a project. ‎‎I consider these people and subsequent generations as hope for global peace.‎‎

I invite you to shoot a video of yours. If you think you're not contaminated with dirt, nepotism, ‎bribery, theft, slander, persecution, ‎then, come and share your story. In the end, maybe we will not only be a society crying to their ‎own dead but also learn to care for others.‎‎

‎Sometimes I share the feeling in the poem of Mahsuni Serif, who says, “I stayed so long idle; ‎maybe it’s time to gush out”:‎‎

Yes, after everything I've been through, my life has gone upside down. But who knows, maybe ‎it better than before. Let's wait and see. Don't lose hope!‎

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder